Department of Microbiology
S.K. Jasmine Shahina.,M.sc.,M.Phil.,(Ph.D).
A. Anu Swedha.,M.Sc.,M.Phil.,(Ph.D).
S. Irfana Tabassum.,M.Sc.,M.Phil.
R. Usha Sri.,M.Sc.,M.Phil.,(Ph.D).
S.M. Shakira Begum.,M.Sc.,M.Phil.
- Cadet Neethu Mol from the department of Microbiology participated and represented Tamil nadu state, and our college in the Republic day parade at Rajpath, New Delhi.
- Our students have participated in various competitions like poster, paper, collage, face painting, quiz and seminars in other colleges and won many prizes
- The students of our department are active members of Majlis NSS, NCC, Honours Club, Enviro Club, and other activities of the college.
Inauguration of “MICROECLECTIC” - 2013
The Inauguration of Association of Microbiology “MICROECLECTIC” of the PG Department of Applied Microbiology, JBAS college for women, was held on 28/09/2013 at 2.00 pm at Golden Jubilee Seminar Hall.
Dr.S. Thiyagarajan, Assistant Professor & Head , PG & Research Department of Microbiology, Asan Memorial College of Arts and Science ,Pallikaranai, kindly consented to be the Chief Guest and deliver the Inaugural Lecture titled “STRESS MANAGEMENT”.
The programme started with a recitation from the ‘HOLY QURAN’ by Ms.Noorunnisa of I M.Sc. Mrs. Anu Swedha , Assistant Professor, Department of Microbiology, welcomed the gathering. Mrs. Irfana Tabassum, Assistant Professor, introduced the distinguished Chief guest. .Mrs.Summera Rafiq, Head of the Department, welcomed the Chief guest with a fruit basket.
Dr.S.Thiyagarajan delivered his Inaugural Lecture on “Stress management”. Stress was defined as the “the normal physical response to events that make one feel threatened or that upset balance in some way”. The common external and internal causes of stress were detailed. He then explained the signs and symptoms of stress were detailed. He then explained the signs and symptoms of stress overload and the effects of chronic stress. The highlight of the lecture was about the Management of Stress and the Strategies to be followed by students for the management of ‘Exam fear’ which is a common cause of stress among students. The Lecture was an invaluable experience for both students and teachers alike, as they could relate to it and gain indepth knowledge on the subject.
Mrs.Sumitha, Assistant Professor, Department of Microbiology, delivered the Vote of Thanks. The programme ended with the National Anthem.
Every year we invite an eminent personality in the field of Microbiology to give a lecture on current trends during “Microeclectic”-Microbiology Association.
Some of the invitees are-
- Dr. Paul Pradeep from British Coloumbia Univesity.
- Dr. P.Rajendran from SRMC.
- Dr. Thiyagarajan from Asan Memorial College.
The students are taken for environmental field trips and Industrial visits like to Kenfra Industries (wayarnad) National institute of ocean Technology (NIOT, Margo, Goa), Britannia Limited (Delhi), in order to provide practical and application oriented knowledge.
- Our department has signed a MOU with Sachika Institute for Training in Biomedical Technology.
- Our students are sent for their 3 week summer internship programme to update them with the current knowledge in diagnostic techniques.
- Best students are assured of job placement by Sachika after the internship programme.
Every year our department conducts AIDS awareness programme on Dec 1st where the students conduct awareness drive by doing class campaign to both school and college students and exhibiting models, chatrs and posters.