Department of Commerce
The Department of Commerce was the first department to be established under the self financing stream in the Evening College in the year 1990. The Department started with a humble beginning of 50 students in the first batch under the stewardship of Mrs. Meenakshi Thiyagarajan, the first lady commerce graduate from University of Madras. From 1990 there has been no looking back for this Department; it has grown from strength to strength. Today twenty years, hence, it still holds the top position in terms of student’s strength and popularity. The Department has three sections in UG stream with a total of 630 students and 10 faculty members. The Department though with such large number of students has still been able to produce results ranging from 85% to 93%. The Department has bagged the overall best Department Award in the cultural events. It has also done exceptionally well in the sports field. The best March Past contingent and the overall best department in sports has been bagged by our department. Apart, from the regular curriculum, the department conducts Seminars, Workshops, Career Counseling and Guidance Programs every year.
- V. Lakshmi Kanna (2007-10)b Batch was awarded I prize for video conferencing with US President; Barack Obama held in US counsellate.
- A Spectacular kuchipudi dance performed by 2800 dancers found its way into the GUINNESS BOOK of world Record. G. Anjanaa of B.com II year was one among the 2800 dancers. She performed a HINDOLA THILLANA for 20 minutes in the 2nd International Kuchipudi dance convention at the GMC Ballayogi stadium at Gachibowli in Hyderabad, A.P on 26th Dec 2010. (Sunday). It was witnessed by the Indian President Mrs. Pratiba Patil.
- Divya of III B.Com A presented a solo concert on 8-1-2011 at the Parthasarathy Swamy koil for about one hour.she was also a part of Nadhavaibhavam a musical programme before the eminent Sri.Sri H.H.Ravi Shankar which has its telecast in Shankar T.V and it was an effort for Guinness.
- Souran Begum and Priyadharshini of 2009-12 (Batch) Participated in several competitions conducted by NCC wing of different city colleges. Participated as parade commander at Trichy. Selected in Tamil Nadu Contingent Drill, P.M.Rally,She also participated in Delhi Republic Day camp.From the total 17 contigent suo.Souran Begum is selected in Rajpath on Januray 26th as rights Marker.
- S.V.Sai Krihpa of (2009-12) Batch won the best RJ award from Hello FM 106.4 contest held in the college and currently working as weekend RJ in Suryan FM 93.5.
MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING (MOUS)
Our Department has entered MOUs with Cognizant, ShareKhan, Padmanabhan Ramani &Ramanujam Chartered Accountants to undertake programmes in the areas of common interest namely: Providing resource persons for delivering guest lectures, Organizing internship programmes for promoting employability of students.
In order to pave way for Industry integrated learning and also to enable students to obtain better practical knowledge and hands-on experience, every student will undergo internship for a period of 14 weeks.
The department has conducted certificate course for students of final year &I B.Com (Hons) on International Financial reporting standards (IFRS) to equip the students in the International standard Of Accounting.
The Department has started with outreach programmes to make the students socially responsible. The places visited so far are Madarse-Azam orphanage, Umme kulsum Womens Islamic College, Anbhagam (special school &home for mentally retarded children) Mambakkam, Avvai Home & orphanage, Besant Nagar in the partial fulfillment of degree course for the II years.
ENTREPRENEURSHIP DEVELOPMENT CELL
Our Department has an entrepreneurship development cell with a strategy of Earn while you Learn and selects interested students to provide entrepreneurial training to become successful women entrepreneurs.
CONSUMER RIGHT ASSOCIATION
On 19-1-2010, we have also started consumer right association with the aim of bringing awareness among the students on acts regarding protecting of consumers, unfair trade practices and unscrupulous exploitation. The vision of consumer right association is making every consumer “A SMART CONSUMER”.
Spacious classrooms with proper lighting facilities. Lectures are conducted with innovative teaching techniques. In addition to General Library, our department has its own library consisting two hundred books for the reference of teachers and students. The Batch 2009-12 passed with the overall 99% percentage.